Thursday, May 29, 2008

Our Interesting Camping Trip

Every Memorial Day weekend my family heads to Blanding for our annual camping trip. This year was a little different than usual.

Day 1- We headed out at 4:30 AM, in a rental car. Our car's heating core was leaking and was supposed to be fixed before we left, but of course it wasn't! I was so mad!! We had good weather the whole way there, but when we got to Blanding it looked pretty ugly. We started up the dirt road and we were sliding all over the place. I'm not very fun to be in the car with when this is going on! We drove up to the campsite and saw this...


In all the years that we have gone I can remember one other time that there has been snow, but it only lasted for maybe an hour. We spent the whole day cooped up in the trailer playing games and talking. Then we headed to our tent...yes tent, but with heaters...and went to bed. Of course, me being pregnant I had to get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. I stepped out in my crocs to about 4 inches of snow...BRRRR!!!!

Day 2- We woke up to the campground covered in about 7 inches of snow and it was still falling. We decided to head in to town for lunch and a stop at the park...get out of the snow for a bit. My parents and Joe and I went to check out a different campground that we used to camp at. It seemed much more appealing than the snow so we decided to pack up and head to a little warmer climate.


That night was much more comfortable...we didn't even need to heaters on high!!!

Day 3- It wasn't a hot day, but it definitely wasn't cold and snowing! I went in to Monticello with my mom and sister to take a warm shower...much needed!! Since it was Sunday we spent the rest of the day relaxing, sitting around the campfire. My dad made his famous dutch oven chicken and potatoes for dinner...YUM!!




Day 4- It was a pretty nice day. We were finally able to ride the four-wheelers. We took a nice ride with all the kids. They all loved it of course! We spent some more time playing cornhole and sitting around the campfire. Then some of us headed out to go clay pigeon shooting. After that we went in to Monticello to the MD Ranch restaurant. We've gone there every year for about 5 years. I don't know if it was because I'm pregnant, but I wasn't a big fan!!

Zachy caught this grasshopper and he was very proud of it!


Day 5- Time to get back home! We packed everything up, loaded up the car and headed home. We had to get our rental car back in time...we were so ready to get our own car back!










On the way home we drove past Monument Valley...beautiful!!!(I was taking the pictures in the car so they aren't very good!)




This has always been one of my favorite vacations...even with the snow. We had a great time with my family and look forward to next year...hopefully with no snow!!!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Just think you guys--next year you're going to have your own little camping buddy!! how fun!! Im so glad you can still have a good time even though the weather doesnt cooperate! I would have packed up my things on the first day and headed home to my own warm bed!! Thank heavens for family traditions!!

Brandon and Tenille said...

I love that you and heather and ahsley all had posts on this trip that way I get to see everyones pics and here everyones stories. Sounded like even though the weather was a suprize everyone ended up still having alot of fun. Love your pics thanks for sharing...

Chelsea said...

Looks like you guys had a blast even with the snow! That's a great family tradition you guys do every year...I'm jealous!!!

Jami Hansen said...

That looks like a pretty & fun place to go camping. What a fun family to hang out with. Next year you will have a new family member to hang out w/. I don't know if you will be relaxing & enjoying the trip. You will be on your feet taking care of the baby. Oh what fun you will have being a parent.